Fresh Mozzarella and Basil Bites Made Simple…
When I think of mozzarella sticks I think of frozen, hard appetizers – too much breading and too little cheese. Not this recipe! Fresh mozzarella, fresh basil and wonton wrappers fried in olive oil and dusted with Parmigiano make this a perfect weekend snack or dinner party app.
- 1 package of Ovoline fresh mozzarella (about 15, cut in half to make 30)
- 1 egg plus 1 tablespoon of water for egg wash
- 15 fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 30 sheets fresh wonton wrappers
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of your favorite warm tomato sauce (yep, canned is acceptable here) or make your own fav.
- Drain the mozzarella on a a paper towel making sure that they are not moist or dripping with any liquid.
- Whisk the egg and water together with a fork.
- Wash and dry the basil leaves and then stack 5 together…roll them together into a little parcel, cut them length wise into little strips as shown…this is called chiffonade…very fancy term that means “cut into little strips”.
- On top of one a wontons, place an Ovoline, cut in half.
- Sprinkle a bit of the basil on top.
- Brush the outside of the wonton with the egg wash.
- Press ends together and tuck the ends underneath. Let rest for about a minute. This is to seal the little parcels.
- Heat the olive oil in a LARGE pan till it reaches 350 degrees. PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT OVERHEAT THE OIL and do not use more than the recommended amount of oil, you are NOT deep frying.
- Place the little parcels in the pan and cook (do not crowd, about 8 or 10 in the pan are just right. Cook till golden brown on each side, about a minute.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Serve immediately with your favorite warm tomato sauce.