Buffalo “Chicken” Wings…Vegetarian Twist
I know, I know…I was blogging about ice cream yesterday, but it’s summer time – and right around now when the weather gets warm I start panicking about breaking out the bathing suit. My husband’s been on a health kick for months and I’m slowly trying to convert. We both love wings and for a while there they were a weekend staple (until he ruined everything with his calorie counting) so when I saw this recipe I thought: what a great compromise!
Granted, it calls for butter, buffalo sauce and buttermilk but cutting out the fried chicken makes this a much healthier alternative to the traditional chicken wing and perfect if you’re a vegetarian.
Buffalo “Chicken”-Vegetarian Style
via The Curvy Carrot
Servings: enough for at least 3-4 people
1 head cauliflower, cleaned and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 cup buffalo sauce
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
For serving: Bleu cheese dressing, celery, etc.
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, flour, and garlic salt, whisking until mostly smooth (it’s ok if there are a few lumps left).
3. Very gently (cauliflower can be pretty delicate), place the cauliflower in the bowl and lightly toss to completely coat with the buttermilk mixture.
4. Place the cauliflower in a shallow baking dish and bake for about 15-18 minutes or so (watch it, it may start to brown up quickly on you.)
5. Meanwhile, combine the buffalo sauce and the melted butter in a small bowl.
6. Carefully remove the hot cauliflower from the oven and pour the buffalo sauce mixture over it, stirring gently to coat it as best you can.
7. Return the cauliflower to the oven and bake for another 5-8 minutes or so. Let cool slightly and serve immediately.