Well, I never got to make the guacamole this weekend ( we decided last minute to take a weekend trip to Atlanta!) but I was thinking about the work week ahead and using the avocado elsewhere…possibly on a homemade Chicken, Bacon & Avocado Chopped Salad. The recipe yields 4-6 servings so I’ll send one with my husband and pack the rest for myself : )
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 avocados, pitted and diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup garlic vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard (optional)
- pinch of salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. dried Italian seasonings
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add chicken. Cook for 3 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside. (Cooking time wil vary depending on the thickness of the chicken.) Remove chicken and let rest for at least 10 minutes. Dice chicken into small pieces.
Add the diced chicken, lettuce, bacon, blue cheese, avocados and tomatoes to a large bowl, and toss until combined. Drizzle or toss with garlic vinaigrette and serve immediately.
Whisk all ingredients together until combined.
Recipe inspired by Martinelli’s Little Italy restaurant.